At Lunsford Orthodontics, we strive to offer the highest quality of orthodontic treatments, such as braces and Invisalign, for our patients in and around Boynton Beach, Wellington, and West Palm Beach, FL. We don’t just aim for effective treatments, we want to provide our patients with a comfortable office environment and the understanding of orthodontics to allow them to proceed through the orthodontic process with the most confidence. We always want to keep our patients informed and able to make knowledgeable decisions, so in order to help, we’ve provided you with a list of frequently asked questions and their answers.
Your Orthodontist In Boynton Beach Answers Your Questions
- Is it required that my dentist schedule an appointment with an orthodontist?
- At what age should my child receive an orthodontic screening?
- Will my teeth straighten out as they grow?
- How do I schedule an appointment for an initial exam?
- What will happen at the initial exam appointment?
- What will I learn from the initial exam?
- Will I need to have any teeth extracted for braces?
- How long will it take to complete treatment?
- How much will braces cost and are any financing options available?
- How often will the appointments be?
- Can I schedule all of my appointments after school?
- Can I drop my child off for an appointment?
- Do braces hurt?
- Can I return to school the day I receive my braces?
- Do you give shots?
- Do you use recycled braces?
- Can I still play sports?
- Do I still need to see my dentist while in braces?
- Are there foods I cannot eat while I have braces?
- How often should I brush my teeth while wearing braces?
- What is an emergency appointment and how is it handled?
- Can orthodontic treatment occur even with baby teeth?
- What is Phase One (early) Treatment?
- Will my child need full braces if he/she has Phase One treatment?
- Will my child need an expander?
- Can I still wear braces even as an adult?
- Can I wear braces even though I have crowns or missing teeth?
- Why should I choose an orthodontic specialist?
1. Is it required that my dentist schedule an appointment with an orthodontist?
No. While many patients will be referred from their dentist, some patients and their families will schedule an appointment to visit our West Palm Beach office by themselves.
2. At what age should my child receive an orthodontic screening?
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that a child undergoes an orthodontic screening by the age of seven. By this age, most of a child’s permanent teeth have erupted, allowing us to more effectively evaluate the orthodontic condition to determine in early orthodontic treatment is needed.
3. Will my teeth straighten out as they grow?
No, they will not. The space available for front teeth doesn’t increase as you grow and in some cases, it will even shrink.
4. How do I schedule an appointment for an initial exam?
You can schedule an appointment with us online, by phone, or by email. We’re always happy to schedule an appointment for you.
5. What will happen at the initial exam appointment?
On your first visit, you’ll be seen by the staff and orthodontist who will help you acclimate to the office. We’ll take the necessary photos and X-rays to help us make a proper diagnosis of your orthodontic situation. Dr. Lunsford will then complete a brief, yet thorough, exam.
6. What will I learn from the initial exam?
At your initial exam, you’ll learn:
- If you have an orthodontic problem and what it is.
- What must be done to correct the problem.
- If you need to have any teeth removed.
- How long the treatment will take to be completed.
- How much the treatment will cost.
7. Will I need to have any teeth extracted for braces?
Removing teeth is sometimes necessary to achieve the best treatment results possible. However, because new technology has provided advanced orthodontic procedures, sometimes it’s not necessary to remove teeth.
8. How long will it take to complete treatment?
The treatment time will vary depending on each patient’s situation. In general, a patient’s treatment will last from 12 to 30 months with the average time being around 22 months.
9. How much will braces cost and are any financing options available?
It’s impossible for us to give you an estimate of the cost of treatment until we’ve examined you or your child. We’ll cover the financial options and your insurance policy during our initial exam. We have many financing options available and we’ll do our best to pick the best plan for you and help save you the most money.
10. How often will the appointments be?
Appointments will be scheduled depending on the patient’s needs. These appointments will usually be between five and ten weeks apart. If there are certain situations that require more frequent monitoring, we’ll schedule appointments accordingly.
11. Can I schedule all of my appointments after school?
Unfortunately, we’re not able to schedule all of a student’s appointments during after-school hours. However, because most appointments are scheduled five to ten weeks apart, patients will miss minimal school due to their orthodontic treatment. We’ll make a sincere effort to best accommodate your schedule.
12. Can I drop my child off for an appointment?
We understand that you may have a busy schedule so we want to help you make the most of your valuable time. While this is definitely okay with us, we ask that parents check in with their patient manager first to see if we may need to speak to them when they return.
13. Do braces hurt?
While braces shouldn’t hurt, your teeth and gums may be sore for a few days after your visits. In these situations, we recommend pain medications such as Tylenol or Advil to relieve the discomfort.
14. Can I return to school the day I receive my braces?
Yes, there’s no reason to miss school after your braces are put on.
15. Do you give shots?
No. Shots are not necessary in orthodontic treatment.
16. Do you use recycled braces?
Absolutely not! It is our belief that each patient should be provided with their own braces to achieve the best orthodontic result possible.
17. Can I still play sports?
Yes, however, we recommend wearing a mouthguard to prevent damage to your braces and mouth.
18. Do I still need to see my dentist while in braces?
Yes, regular check-ups with your dentist are vital while you’re in braces. Your dentist will determine the appropriate intervals for you to come in while you’re wearing braces.
19. Are there foods I can’t eat while wearing braces?
Yes, there are certain foods to avoid. Once your treatment begins, we’ll thoroughly explain what you can and cannot eat and give you a comprehensive list of the foods you should avoid. Generally, the foods you need to avoid are foods that are hard or sticky.
20. How often should I brush my teeth while wearing braces?
Patients should brush their teeth at least four times a day – once after each meal and again before going to bed.
21. What is an emergency appointment and how is it handled?
If a part of your braces breaks or is causing you extreme pain, please call our office immediately. In most cases, we’ll be able to handle the situation over the telephone, but if you require an emergency appointment, we’ll make time to see you.
22. Can orthodontic treatment occur even with baby teeth?
Yes, some orthodontic problems are serious enough that they require early intervention. However, in some cases, we’ll just simply monitor the patient’s growth and development until we determine the appropriate time to begin orthodontic treatment.
23. What is Phase One (early) treatment?
Phase One treatment, or early treatment, is orthodontic treatment that’s conducted on children between the ages of seven and ten. Phase One treatment will usually last from 12 to 21 months. The primary objective for Phase One treatment is to address significant problems to keep them from becoming more severe.
24. Will my child need full braces if he/she has Phase One treatment?
It’s usually best to assume that your child will still need full braces even after Phase One treatment. The period following Phase One treatment is known as the resting period; throughout this time, a child’s parents will be kept informed about our recommendations for orthodontic treatment.
25. Will my child need an expander?
This will be determined after the completion of the initial examination.
26. Can I still wear braces even as an adult?
Absolutely! In fact, 25 percent of all orthodontic patients are adults. You’re never too old to benefit from the health, happiness, and self-esteem boosts that braces can grant you.
27. Can I wear braces even though I have crowns or missing teeth?
Yes on both accounts. A tooth with a crown moves in the same way as any other tooth. When teeth are missing, orthodontic treatment will still aid in the alignment of the other remaining teeth.
28. Why should I choose an orthodontic specialist?
You should choose an orthodontic specialist because teeth, and occasionally entire facial structures, are permanently changed by orthodontic treatment. Because this is a such an important process, it’s vital to make sure that the treatment is properly completed. Orthodontic specialists have the extensive and specialized training that allows them to give their patients professional and proficient treatment.
Contact Your Boynton Beach Orthodontist Today
If you have any further questions about orthodontic treatment or Lunsford Orthodontics, please feel free to contact us. If you’re interested in beginning orthodontic treatment with us, give us a call at (561) 964-5200 or fill out our online appointment request form to schedule your first visit. We look forward to seeing you and helping you achieve the smile you deserve!